The different types of marks are:
- Word Mark: A Word mark consists of word and combination of words, numbers, and symbols in standard Form which can be distinctive. For Example IBM
- Device Mark: Device mark means logo or label or word or combination of words used with specific style or format or shape. For Example Google
- Colour Mark: Colour mark consists of a specific color or combination of colors to indicate the usage or origin of Goods or Services.
- Three Dimensional Mark: It is used the where the product has a particular shape and it is well indicated in the three-dimensional mark.
- Sound mark: A sound can be so distinctive to indicate something that’s why it becomes necessary to protect such sound mark.
A registered trademark has the power of enhancing brand value and creating a strong customer base because of the ownership and authority of the trademark aligned with the products and services offered. Also, acts as a supporting pillar in easing the legal matters with it’s rights; when such claims occur due to improper usage of similar marks. The time taken by trademarks to get registered is 2-3 years, if it is not being opposed by a third party. Trademark applications are handled by the Office of the Controller General of Patents, Trade Marks, Industrial Designs and Geographical Indications. After the registration process is completed through various forms based on the nature of the trademark, it is necessary to track the status of the trademark online using the application number assigned. It takes around a year or more to register a trademark completely under the authorization of Intellectual Property of India.